The Arbitrage Magazine is the world’s largest, student-driven business magazine (yeah, seriously). We exist to examine current business trends in a way that matters to student minds, by having interesting content that’s written and designed by students, for students.
More simply, we write about business without boring people. We’re Business News with BITE.
Our website is: http://www.arbitragemagazine.com
Download and/or read our magazine here: http://www.arbitragemagazine.com/category/magazine/
The Arbitrage Magazine is maturing in content, form, and visual appeal with each issue. As the Arbitrage Magazine’s readership continues to grow, it’ll need fresh, talented, reliable, and committed individuals to keep it running and evolving. This is your opportunity to join a growing and international team that works together to build something truly special (in addition to building your résumé and/or commercial portfolio), so do apply if you think you can contribute something special.
In fact, learn what working with the “ARB” is like from past team
Please read below for more details about the specific job ad!
Please forward your résumé & cover letter to:
Director, Human Resources
1) If you apply to the Arbitrage Magazine Journalism or Design departments, you must include a sample/portfolio of your work as well.
2) Presently, the Arbitrage Magazine is structured as a not-for-profit cooperative. All positions operate on a part-time, volunteer basis. Accordingly, only serious applicants need apply.
3) In your application, kindly mention where you located this job posting.
4) We receive quite a few résumés per week. We do make an effort to reply to all applications, but we are (very) SELECTIVE about who we invite to an interview. Please be sure to stand out by taking care to send us a professional and well written cover letter and résumé (and portfolio where applicable).
Job Title: Art Director
Department: Art Department
Reports to: CEO
Start date: Immediately
End date: TBD, depends on your school schedule
Compensation: volunteer, freelance
Hours: 3-10 hours per week depending on projects assigned and their due dates
The Arbitrage Magazine team is looking for an individual to fill its Art Director role. This position will oversee all material submitted by the Staff Designers prior to publication, with the help of a team of Assistant Art Directors. Together, the Art Direction team edits all content to the style guide. The Art Direction team may redesign artwork or page layouts to ensure all design contributions fit the magazine.
In all, a position as an Art Director overseeing Arbitrage Magazine Art Direction team will entail working closely with the various Arbitrage divisions to bring together all content related elements needed for a successful publication.
- Contribute one design contribution per season.
- Remind and work with the design staff (using emails and phone calls) to ensure all design contributions are handed in on time.
- Be the point person for all questions from the design staff relating to meeting the style guide and answering basic questions about using design software correctly. You will ensure all questions are answered (i.e. follow ups).
- Help collect all the design contributions from the staff graphic designers, provide each designer with an email receipt of their contribution, then place all designs into the central database for editing and publication.
- Edit all designs to meet the basic style guidelines and provide FEEDBACK to designers for future improvement and professional development.
- Coordinate with your Assistant Art Directors to successfully assemble the magazine on deadline and at a high quality.
- Collect regular status updates from your team and share progress with the CEO.
- Oversee the ongoing design evolution of the magazine.
- Contribute 2 to 10 hours per week (the spike in hours usually takes place during the quarterly 1-2 week magazine production blitz)
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
By the time you leave the ARB, you’ll have gained the following transferable skills that you can use in many other employment settings. Specifically, you’ll learn how to:
- Manage and coordinate a large team that’s spread out internationally
- Grow and develop the visual voice and direction of an established publication
- Navigate the intricacies of a active publication (e.g. you’ll learn the production process of a magazine from the design and business end)
- Learn how to effectively work in a virtual environment (i.e. the future of work)
- All ARB staff members will receive a reference letter after four months of successful service to the publication. You will be able to use the founder as a personal reference after eight months of successful service.
- Be provided with a large orientation package and training process that will provide you with the tools to grow professionally.
- You’ll be able to add by-lines to your portfolio from an established and well-known publication.
- You’ll be a part of a (really big) team that’s doing great work!
- Be an active student (rare exceptions apply)
- Attention to detail, highly organized and can meet deadlines
- Advanced skills in InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Good judgment, creativity, self-motivation and curiosity
- Must be able to work independently and manage a large team
- Must have strong computer skills and ability to quickly learn online collaboration applications.
- Shows initiative to discover new ways to improve the status quo
Business News with BITE.
Liked this post? Why not buy the ARB team a beer? Just click an ad or donate below (thank you!)
Liked this article? Hated it? Comment below and share your opinions with other ARB readers!